A FORTIFIED Roof™ provides better protection against severe weather.
- If your home is located in Territory 110 (NCIUA Coverage PF 01 02 11 17) or Territory 120 (NCIUA Coverage PF 01 06 05 18) and your home has a covered roof claim with more than 50% roof damage, your homeowner’s policy from NCIUA has some unique coverage that may help you cover the costs of upgrading your roof to a FORTIFIED Roof when it is replaced. Up to $5,000 of the cost to upgrade to a FORTIFIED Roof can be reimbursed if you follow the steps described below, but upgrading to a FORTIFIED Roof is voluntary.
- If you have a covered claim with less than 50% roof damage, you can still get reimbursed up to $600 for the FORTIFIED Evaluator fee if you decide to have your roof replaced with a FORTIFIED Roof.
- If your home is located in Territories 130, 140, 150, and 160 (NCIUA Coverage PF 01 03 11 17 and PF 01 07 05 18) your homeowner’s policy from NCIUA has some unique coverage that may help you upgrade your roof to a FORTIFIED roof when it is replaced. NCIUA provides up to $600 reimbursement for costs associated with a FORTIFIED evaluation if you decide to have a FORTIFIED Roof installed on your home. Having the upgrades done is voluntary.
WHAT IS FORTIFIED?
FORTIFIED Home is a nationally recognized building method based on more than 20 years of scientific research and real-world testing by IBHS. FORTIFIED standards build upon building codes by improving performance against natural hazards and reducing the risk of personal property losses.
- A stronger roof helps protect your home and personal property from potentially devastating winds and wind-driven rain.
- A stronger roof may reduce or eliminate the amount of time spent out of your home due to water intrusion when the roof is damaged.
- Often the most common roof damage is avoidable by working with your roofer to pay attention to critical details.
- In North Carolina, a FORTIFIED Home Roof designation may qualify you for annual wind mitigation credit that could lower your insurance premium. Check with your insurance agent for specific policy requirements and potential wind mitigation credits in your area.
How Do I Get a FORTIFIED Roof?
- Notify NCIUA of your intent to upgrade to a FORTIFIED Roof by calling 919-821-1299.
- Receive your own NCIUA coordinator who will escort you through every step of the process.
- Select a FORTIFIED Evaluator. To find a list of certificated Evaluators, visit the FORTIFIED Directory of Service Providers. The Evaluator is more than an “inspector” for the project.
- They take pictures, collect information, and upload documentation to the FORTIFIED review team at IBHS.
- They also consult with the builder/roofer and the FORTIFIED review team on how to best meet FORTIFIED requirements.
- Obtain estimates from roofers/contractors. It is not a requirement to hire a roofer who has completed the IBHS FORTIFIED Wise–Roofer training, but check the IBHS Directory of Service Providers for a list of roofers who have been through the training.
- Your FORTIFIED Evaluator will work with your roofer/contractor and inspect, document the entire process with photographs and submit information to IBHS.
- IBHS will review your repair documentation submitted by your FORTIFIED Evaluator and if compliant, you will receive a FORTIFIED Roof designation (formerly called Bronze) along with your designation certificate.